CREP enrollment is closed until next batching period is announced.

The Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) is now open to take applications for Cottonwood County.

What is MN CREP?
MN CREP is a voluntary, federal-state funded natural resource conservation program that uses a science-based approach to target environmentally sensitive land. For those of you that have been around, this is the third CREP to come to Minnesota! It is essentially a marrying of the federal CRP (Conservation Reserve Program) and the State RIM (Reinvest In Minnesota) easement program at the same time.

How does it work?
*Landowners enroll in the federally-funded CRP for 14-15 years
*The same land is enrolled in a state-funded perpetual easement through the RIM program

What practices are eligible for MN CREP, will they take anything and everything?
No, MN CREP will not take anything and everything. They are focusing on four key sensitive areas:

1.  Filter Strips (CP21)
-Minimum of 30 feet wide, potentially up to 350 feet wide depending on the resource concerns (soils, slopes, flooding, etc)
-Native vegetation

2. Wetland Restorations – Floodplain (CP23)
-Located within in the 100 year floodplain
-Up to 3:1 upland acres to wetland acres ratio

3. Wetland Restorations – Non-floodplain (CP23A)
-Not located in the 100 year floodplain
-Up to 4:1 upland acres to wetland acres ratio
4. Wellhead Protection Areas (CP2)
-Wellhead Protection Areas mapped as High or Very Highly Vulnerable by the Minnesota Department of Health

Why consider MN CREP?
-Landowner retains ownership and still maintains private land status (MN CREP does not make this public land)
-Impact on water quality and habitat
-Native restorations
-Your legacy

Interested in more information? Want to know where to start?

Feel free to check out the BWSR website regarding CREP at for more information.

Here are some of the handouts provided by BWSR about CREP:

CREP Overview – a general overview about CREP
Why CREP? – Why choose to enroll in CREP?
CREP Approved Practices – Approved practices for CREP (filter strips, wetland restorations, wellhead protection)
CREP – Minimum acres – CREP requires an 8 acre minimum contract, but there are waivers for that minimum size

If you are interested, please feel free to contact the Cottonwood SWCD or the Cottonwood FSA office for more information and see if you are eligible today!